31 Benefits of Coconut Oil – Homemade Skin Care and More
Coconuts are solid, oval-shaped, fruits produced by the palm tree. Palm trees are found in more than eighty-six countries around the world, mostly located in the tropics. Some people refer to the coconut tree as the “tree of life” because of the rich vitamins and minerals found in coconuts. Coconut oil is extracted from coconuts. This natural oil is a solid fat, white in color, appears crystalline and offers a multitude of benefits.
The Benefits of Coconut Oil includes:
- Prevents pre-mature aging of the skin
- Repairs damaged skin tissue
- Wards off sun damage
- Helps bring back a youthful appearance
- Helps prevent yeast infection in the skin
- Aids in removing dead skin cells
- Helps eliminate plantar warts/athlete’s foot (when mixed with garlic)
- Help keep connective skin tissue strong and supple
- Protects against liver spots on the skin
- Helps reduce chronic skin inflammation
- Soothing for wounds
- Combats wrinkles, skin discoloration, wrinkles
- Assist in treating psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis
- Reduces roughness or dry skin scaling
- Soothing for chapped or irritated lips
- Firms, softens, smoothes and moisturizes the skin
- Helps prevent acne, herpes, and warts
- Softens hair
- Conditions scalp
- Help get rid of dandruff
- Has an antiseptic, antifungal and antibacterial property
- High in anti-oxidants
- Contains health-promoting nutrients
- Protects against arthritis, heart disease, cancer, and diabetes
- Aids in digestion Strengthens the immune system
- Stimulates metabolism
- Helps yield a fluffy lather in soap
- Improves thyroid function
- Escalates energy levels
- Has an anti-viral property
- Has stress-relieving aroma
Many commercial skincare products such as soap, lotion, and cream, are made with cheap refined vegetable oils. Sometimes chemical solvents are used during this refining process. During this refining process, anti-oxidants are stripped away allowing the skin to be vulnerable for free-radical generation, causing the skin to age faster. Instead, coconut oil is high in anti-oxidants penetrating the underlying skin tissues preventing and protecting against the formation of free radicals. Virgin coconut oil is non-hydrogenated containing lauric acid, a natural anti-microbial proven to fight viruses and bacteria. Some commercial body care products tend not to, even, use cheap refined vegetable oils. Instead, they use something worse such as mineral oil and byproducts of refined oil. Also, foaming agents and surfactants are often added to commercial soap to generate lather.
These chemicals are known to cause allergy and skin sensitization. Many commercial soaps are now including chemically produced, unnatural, anti-bacterial agents, like Triclosan, in order to claim the soap has anti-bacterial properties. Triclosan is an environmental toxin in its own right and is still completely legal to add to commercial soap! Now that is a skincare concern! How is coconut oil used? It is found in a variety of bath and body products. It is found in many foods and used for cooking or frying. It is used as a massage oil for relieving stress, tension or anxiety. It is used in a variety of ways. There is natural homemade goat milk lotion, handcrafted with virgin coconut oil and other natural ingredients. This homemade lotion comes in a variety of natural fragrances including lavender, juicy orange, and peppy citrus. It also comes, Au natural, unscented with no added fragrance. This natural homemade lotion is extremely mild and gentle. It soothes and moisturizes dry skin, dry itchy skin, sensitive skin, dry flaky skin and more.
Natural homemade goat milk soap, containing coconut oil, is available in bar and liquid varieties. This homemade soap comes in natural fragrances such as orange tree, peppy citrus, peppermint coffee, lavender, aloe and oats and, even, a unique alpaca wool felted soap! It also comes au natural, unscented, with no added fragrance. Natural goat milk soap is extremely healthful for many different skin types. People with psoriasis, eczema, dry flaky skin, acne and more notice the difference between using natural goat milk soap and regular commercial soap the very time they use it! Goat milk soap is extremely mild and gentle with healthful skincare properties.
This natural homemade soap, made with coconut oil, offers nice bubbly lather compared to commercial soap using foaming agents and cheap mineral oil. You do not need to use commercial skin products that use cheap refined vegetable oils, cheap mineral oils, foaming agents, surfactants, unnatural, chemically produced, anti-bacterial agents and more. Instead, you can find homemade skincare products using natural coconut oil and other natural skincare ingredients. The coconut oil benefits are multiple and healthful!