1. Click anywhere in the paragraph for which you want to create a New Paragraph Style
2. Under the ‘Styles’ Group – Click the ‘More’ button or ‘dialog box launcher’
3. The ‘Styles’ dialog box will appear on your screen.
Click the ‘New Style’ button which is located at the left hand side of the bottom of the dialog box.
4. The ‘Create new Style from Formatting’ box will appear on your screen. See the diagram below.
Under the ‘Properties’ section enter a new name for your style.
Under the ‘Formatting’ section you can change the Font face, Font Size, Font Color and add Bold, Italics or Underline and additional formatting to your paragraph, if you choose.
5. I have clicked the ‘Format’ button to add a green border around my paragraph, when I do the ‘Border and Shading’ dialog box will appear on the screen, as seen in the number 6.
6. Next, I chose the ‘Box’ border, the ‘Style’ of line I want for my border, the color of the line, and the thickness of the line. Then I clicked ‘OK’. See below.
7. In the diagram below you can see the New Style I have created: Style 2. If I ever need to apply this kind of formatting to another paragraph – All I have to do is select the paragraph and click on the New Style I have created: Style 2.
Lesson 52: How to Create a Character Style in Word